Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Post election emotions

I am suprised at how much of a roller coaster day it has been: from getting a little teary watching Maya Angelou get choked up about the election, to feeling bad for McCain's bad luck and bad decisions, from feeling inspired by the possibilities of a new direction after listening to Obama's victory speech, to becoming completely horrified and outraged at Nader's comments, and then finally to laughing at South Park's election perspective.

Overall, I was really touched and amazed that so many people were so choked up about the election's result. But I have to wonder...did the historic nature of the election's result just hit people at the end--including the reporters? And was that because no one really believed it would happen? And if so, what does that say in itself?

3 comments:

wilben said...

Very well said just how I have been thinking today myself.

Jennifer said...

I don't have tv, so I went to bed at 9:30 and woke up in the morning to find out who won and was like "Oh, good. Too bad I got stuck in the worst traffic jam of my life and missed voting, but I was just going to write someone in anyway." and then went to work and EVERYONE was gushy and overwhelmed and - seriously - people were hugging each other talking about how inspired they were by Obama's speech and I feel kind of jealous that I missed out on it all.

at work we have really been pushing the students to go out and vote and be aware and be active and I think they got swept up in it all along - I haven't been watching tv coverage, I admit, but it seems that in Bridgeport people knew how historic it was for months judging from the talk I hear in the halls and other anecdotal stuff. My impression is that people got even more emotional about it that night because of Obama's speech (which, again, I didn't hear any of), no?

Unknown said...

I must have missed out on all that. I said a few times before the election how historic it was going to be because either an African American or a woman was going to be elected as President or Vice President. All I got as responses were shrugs.

It seemed a dramatic change from where I stand, but you are exposed to a completely different part of the state than me, so perhaps that plays a part.

As far as media coverage, I do think the attitude of reporters changed once Obama was seen as the winner.

BTW, if you want to see/hear the speech it's less than 20 minutes long and I put a link to it in my blog entry.