Thursday, November 6, 2008

Food not so fast

I have been very interested in nutrition in the last few months. I have made some major changes like taking up a European shopping habit of buying small amounts of food every day. I have started cooking and even collecting recipes. Thinking about food is a big change for me.

This started back in September for a variety of reasons, but it's been quite enlightening. I have increased fruits, vegetables, and nuts. I have eliminated sugar, high fructose corn syrup, dairy, white flour, preservatives, and processed foods. I also decreased starches.

Some things I've learned:
1. If you change your food habits people may think you are having some kind of crisis.
2. If you stick to those changes many people will think you are having a major life crisis.
3. If you tell strangers that you are not eating this or that they will assume you are a health nut.
4. If you lose weight while doing this people are likely to tell you that you can't possibly be getting enough fill-in-the-blank in your diet.

I think Americans think that it's good to eat a fruit or a vegetable once in a while--and it's better to tell people that you try to get as many as possible--but if you actually do it that makes you a bit odd. I don't know. I wonder if others have had similar experiences trying to alter a diet.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

When I stopped eating high fructose corn syrup and large amounts of sodium, people kept telling me how they would love to do something like that but for whatever reason could not do it. A lot of times people think it's too expensive to eat actual food instead of chemicals or it's not convenient.

When I stopped eating animals most people would ask my reasons and then scream about how they don't want to hear about the repulsive behaviors in the meat industry and a LOT of people still try to tempt me with meat like somehow that's funny.

The kicker?

When I quit smoking many many many people asked WHY!!!!

Unknown said...

I think I was one of those people who asked you why. *blushes* But in my defense it wasn't that I was questioning your decision. I am just always curious about the reasons that a smoker has for quitting.

As for food, I know we've both been trying to change our diet for a number of years. We should definitely talk about this the next time we get together. :)

Sara said...

People and food can be an interesting (and angry?) combination. I've found that some are so defensive about their choices, they can barely listen to an opposing or different choice. Veganism is a big thing out here, which is great because there are more options (especially for those with allergies). A few months back, a new vegan mini-mall opened and the comments on the newspaper website were crazy. "Anti-vegans" were attacking vegans for not eating meat and then (some) vegans were going crazy on "killers" for their responses. It was disconcerting.
My good friend is really into a live/raw diet and I love the food she makes. She is not strict with her diet, and it works for her.
I like to consider myself a flexitarian. I try to eat what feels good, and I make small changes when I can.