Monday, November 3, 2008

Busy days

About ten minutes after I arrived at Middlesex Hopspital today to start my day of volunteering another volunteer showed up. Usually working alone I asked what was up.
"Before you started there were always two volunteers on Mondays," she said. "It's the busiest day of the week, and the department didn't think it was fair to make you do all this by yourself. So I'm going to work with you." I was thinking, "Oh, you are here to make things less stressful for me? Crap."
I like the uncertain, fast-paced nature of what I do at the hospital. It's exhausting but also challenging. I guess it will be nice to have someone to talk to and I won't feel so guilty if something comes up and I miss a day, but I did like the break-neck pace.
Of course, that is 180 degrees from what I spent the last eight years doing in libraries. So, I think I've learned something about myself today. Maybe this will help me figure out what I want to do next. At least I feel more certain that I made a good decision getting out of the library field.

No comments: