Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gratitude: Day 15

Thanksgiving. I've had a lot of Thanksgivings in a lot of different places, with a lot of different people over the years, and the thing that always strikes me is that no one does it the same. No two houses or families ever celebrate alike.
But it seems like the tradition would be almost a carbon copy from home to home. I guess that speaks to how different families are themselves.
There are aspects I notice such as: the level of formality, the location, the amount of religion involved, the food itself, the time of day, the conversation, the number of people, who cooks and why, and the length of the meal. Thanksgiving is a meal, but its also microcosm of a family's structure and I'm happy over the years to have been able to spend it with so many varied kinds of families in three different states.

No comments: